The Outlawed Mind
12.28.2004
 
My first interactive post
So today as I was browsing arround over at "SickSadLilWorld", I managed to come across an unusual but fascinating concept. In today's society, we have an odd inclination to use product brand names in place of the actual product name. A good example of this would be Velcro. Velcro is a brand. Hook and loop fastener is the product that Velcro is most known for. But although 3M, Scotch and other companies also make hook and loop fasteners, we almost always call the product "Velcro".

So today I challenge you, my loyal readers, to come up with more examples of this unusual "phenomenon" as they commonly occur in daily context. Post your contributed thoughts as a comment on this post.

So far we have:
> Kleenex (for facial tissue)
> Coke (for soda)
> Q-tips (for cotton swabs)
> Rolodex (for index file systems)
> Jell-O (for gelatin desserts)

And yes, I am aware that I think too much!

Quote of the day:
~ "On the first day, god created the earth...and he saw that it was good.
On the second day, god created man...and he saw that he was good.
On the third day, god created music...and he saw that this was good.
On the fourth day, god created the club...and the people started to move."
- Aquagen

I'm a big fan of hott doctors, Christmas bonuses and my outlawed mind!

CHEERS!

P.S. My blog is increasing in popularity! Thanks to all of my readers, new and old! Hope you are entertained!

|

<< Home

Powered by Blogger