The Outlawed Mind
12.23.2004
 
A wonderful start to the holiday weekend...
I just feel the need to bitch and moan a little real quick. You don't mind, do you? Thanks!

Some of you may know that I work as a high-level manager in the security industry. In the security business, holidays are prime time for big revenue since everyone needs extra security during shutdown or holiday vacation times when most people are off work. Well, in wonderful Indiana, we got over 16 inches of snow last night. I, being the fool that I am, was up until 3:30 AM this morning talking to a lady friend of mine. An hour later, the shit hit the fan.

At 12:30 AM this morning, I got a report that one of my fleet vehicles had died and wouldn't start back up. So I figured I could just have it towed in the morning. No problem.

At 4:30 AM, I got a phone call from my sister (who is working the holidays for me) trying to get a pair of shoes from my house that she left here weeks ago.

At 6:25 AM I got another call from one of my supervisors reporting that, due to the snow, he could not make it into work on time.

I lost track off all the phone calls at that point, but I do know that as of this very moment, I have had over a dozen call-offs, 3 supervisors called off, I now have 2 fleet vehicles with seized engines and a partridge in a pear tree (cliche!).

So I finally decide to try and brave the ridiculous traffic and driving conditions to get to my northside office around 8:00 AM. I decided to forego my morning shower since 15 minutes away from my phone would have caused a panic in the field. I threw on some warm street clothes and spent the following 20 minutes standing in a 2 foot snow drift attempting to dig my car out of the snow. Once the car was free from it's frozen grave, my neighbor's son pulled it out of the driveway and onto the road with his 4x4 truck. I finally got underway a little before 8:30.

We won't even go into detail about the drive. I did, however, find some amusement in the idea of sliding sideways on I-465 for several yards at a time as an effective means of traversing the highway!

I arrived at the office around 9:40 where I found that not only had my secretary failed to show up for work, but she had also neglected to call me and notify me of this fact. I called her shortly after getting settled and she goes "Oh yeah, well I can't even get my car out of my parking space in my apartment complex. I just figured we weren't working today 'cause of the snow!"

So, in short, I have 2 broken down vehicles, a dozen call-offs, holiday hours still left to cover, my feet are still soaked from standing in the snow bank, I stink and I'm the only one in the office to handle it all PLUS answer phones, make calls, set up schedules and hand out paychecks.

I wish this building had windows higher than the second floor! From that height, I'd only bounce off the parking lot!

But I'm positive enough to still add a fan list. And today it includes emergency brakes, nymphomaniacs (what else would I stay awake 'til 3AM for?) and my outlawed mind!

CHEERS!

|

<< Home

Powered by Blogger