The Outlawed Mind
4.27.2005
 
My Father, the Original Groovemaster!
Today is my father's 56th birthday. I dunno if that's a big number or not though. He's got a lot of numbers attached to him. 15 = the number of years he spent in the U.S. Army. 17 = the number of years he's been nicotine-free. 4 = the number of heart attacks he has survived. 2 = the number of times he's been married (and divorced). He's had a colorful life, that's for sure. Plenty of ups and downs, positives and negatives, regrets and memories. I'll be doing real well if I'm ever even half the man he is someday.

Anywho, so we (meaning my sisters and I) planned to take the man to Carraba's last Saturday night to celebrate. (Sidenote: The food was great but the Sangria was less than impressive!)

I just noticed that I use parantheses ALOT when I blog! Hmmm...

Let's clear two things up real quick:
1. One of my sisters lives in Denver and we flew her out for the weekend unbeknownst to my unsuspecting father.
2. My old man NEVER gives big reactions when he's surprised. Similarly, I don't think he can even be startled, come to think of it.

So sister number 1 arrives, sister number 2 picks her up at the airport, both sisters meet brother at predetermined location, and oblivious father walks in and "SURPRISE!!!!"

And his reaction is a rather non-chalant "heeeyyyy!!!" (obligatory grin included). But no one is disappointed because, that's pretty much the best reaction you could hope for. However, at dinner later, I make a point of his lack of enthusiasm. SO right there in the middle of the restaurant, he gets up and goes "did you expect to see something like THIS?"

Please refer to the visual aid below to complete the mental image! (keep in mind, he is even more lacking in rhythm and refinement than he is in enthusiasm!)

Click Here (Not dial-up friendly...about 8.5MB)

CHEERS!

|

<< Home

Powered by Blogger